Have you suffered challenges to your mental health?
Depression has the third highest burden of all diseases in Australia (13%)  and also third globally .
Almost half (45%) Australians will experience a mental illness in their lifetime .
One in five, about 20%, Australians aged 16-85 experience a mental illness in any year:
- 11.5% have one disorder and 8.5% have two or more disorders.
- 14% of Australians suffer from anxiety disorders.
- 6% depressive disorders .
The age with the highest prevalence of mental illness is that between 18-24 years of age.
21.2% of adolescents between 15-19 years of age met the criteria for a probable serious mental illness .
Six Australians die from suicide every single day, with a further 30 people will attempt to take their own life .
Suicide is the leading cause of death for people Australians aged 25-44 and the second leading cause of death for young people aged 15-24 .
Australians are more likely to die by suicide than skin cancer.
Indigenous Australians experience double the rate of suicide when compared to non-indigenous Australians .
The LGBT community experience four times the rate when compared with those identified as heterosexual .
In 2011, men accounted for 76% of deaths from suicide , yet an estimated 72% of males don’t seek help for mental disorders.
54% of suffers with mental illness do not seek treatment , which is only compounded by the delay in treatment due to problems with detection, social stigma and accurate diagnosis.
Individuals with mental illness accessing treatment is half that of people seeking treatment with physical disorders .
Please, I ask of you, either share this post to raise awareness or tag your friends below.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. (2014). Australia’s Health 2014. AIHW: Canberra.
- World Health Organisation. (2008). The global burden of disease: 2004 update.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2009). National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing: Summary of Results, 4326.0, 2007. ABS: Canberra.
- Kitchener, B.A. and Jorm, A.F. (2009). Youth Mental Health First Aid: A manual for adults assisting youth. ORYGEN Research Centre, Melbourne.
- Ivancic, L., Perrens, B., Fildes, J., Perry, Y. and Christensen, H. (2014). Youth Mental Health Report, June 2014. Mission Australia and Black Dog Institute, Sydney.
- The Australian Senate. (2010). The Hidden Toll: Suicide in Australia Report of the Senate Community Affairs References Committee. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra.
- http://www.aihw.gov.au/deaths/causes-of- death
- Australian Bureau of Statistic. (2012). Australian Health Survey: First Results. ABS, Canberra.
- National Mental Health Commission. (2013). A Contributing Life, the 2013 National Report Card on Mental Health and Suicide Prevention. NMHC, Sydney.
- Department of Health and Ageing. (2013). National Mental Health Report 2013: tracking progress of mental health reform in Australia 1993 – 2011. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra.
- Commonwealth of Australia. (2010). National Mental Health Report 2010. Canberra, Australia.